Sunday, April 27, 2008
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Well this is what my finished R2 looks like...from the front anyways. Still have to attach the back door.
I got the battery boxes and middle foot cylinders and wedges mounted last night.
I'm planning on getting 2 new batteries..slightly larger..in the hopes that they don't wear out in 5 minutes.
Haven't decided if I want to try to weather him yet. Scared to ruin the whole thing!
Sunday, April 20, 2008
Well...I got him moving!! Had someproblems...had him all wiredup and he wasnt responding at all like he was supposed to...then I finally realized I had some jumpers in the wrong position on the speed controller.
The scooter batteries take about 3 hours to charge....sad part is..they seem to drain in about 5 minutes. R2's motion is 24v...so I have 2 12v batteries wired in series. I tried to use a lawn tractor 12v battery...and it did work..but it wasn't enough power...r2 was way too slugglish.
The batttery boxes are just taped in place for now (waiting for magnets for attaching them), I have to mount the middle foot cylinders and wedges when the wedges arrive, then the last thing is to mount the back door. Final stretch!!!!!
Sunday, April 13, 2008
I finished off the battery boxes. They turned out ok...not great..but at least they are done.
I sprayed my hoses with a brass color paint lightly and had to drill out the knurled fittings (mine are resin) so the cable would fit inside.
I have some magnets on order from ebay so I HOPE they are strong enough to hold the battery boxes on. The cables don't bed really easily so the magnets will be working against those.
Here is a pic. After all my foot problems you can see they are kind of tilted in...but at this point they are assembled and working...I'm not going to rebuild them again.
Saturday, April 05, 2008
Wednesday, April 02, 2008
Foot #2 ON!!
I attached foot #2 last night....
No major problems!! The feet both seem to tilt lower in the middles..but at least they are symmetrical.
You can see the patches I made in these pics. Now when the battery boxes are in place there will be no holes (as there would have been if I used my original drive configuration). I guess that means this is all for the better.
You can see the patch (and crack at the top) filled here. Have to sand then paint. It's easy to see now..but once painted and sanded should look pretty good. Better than having a gaping hole!!
I patched the battery boxes too. Those cutouts accomodated the old drive assembly..now it fits INSIDE the foot shell so these cutouts aren't needed any longer!