Friday, March 24, 2006
Thursday, March 23, 2006
It's Not Easy Painting Green....
I painted yoda green. I had to mix liquid latex with water to dilute it and added acrylic green for color. The first couple coats didn't work well...and the airbrush kept clogging up!!!
Finally I got the mixture better and the third coat worked out better. Last night I added some detail by hand. I painted on wrinkles and some age spots.
Here he is now. I still need to cut out the latex where the eyes are and place my eyes that I ordered. I'll also add some white hair.
He's getting there...
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
My Yoda arrived. I was expecting some pretty bad air bubble holes near the eyes, but it really wasn't too bad.
I took some liquid latex and at first I was trying to be carefull to smoothly fill the holes...but then I decided to use the latex to paint on grooves to simulate wrinkles. It totally adds to the realism! That being said I think I will paint a base coat of green using the airbrush, then I will paint the details by hand...and be sure to leave lines in the right places to look like wrinkles. It should be fun!
Here he is before any painting. I think he's a bit too thin so I will likely fill him out a bit. I also have to cut my skeleton feet back a bit and run some wires in the saber hand so he can hold it on his own.
Sunday, March 19, 2006
Filling, Sanding, Painting...
I had to use body filler in the garage with a heater aimed right on the helmet cuz it's cold out there (the fumes smell up the house). I spent the day sanding, sandning, sanding.
I had troubles with some areas where the glue was since the one glue that worked (PLumbers Goop) is pretty elastic, so it can't be sanded. I tried to cover it with filler.
It really does look better in person, and once the final paint job is done I want it to look beat up anyways...so it will be fine.
Friday, March 17, 2006
A Little More Fett Progress
I got the cheek pieces filled in. They didn't fit very well....but bondo will fix that later.
I also cut away more of the pieces holding the chin together. I left a piece that is set just a bit back so the lens is able to slide overtop. This way it will hold it's shape, and the lens will still go in place.
Thursday, March 16, 2006
Fett Progress..and a Yoda Imposter
Wednesday, March 15, 2006
HOLY CRAP this thing is tough to glue. I have tried 5 different types of glue. This industrial strength bucket must be made with krypronite!
I tried using pvc glue (for pvc pipes) and it seems to work, but it doesn't melt the pastic at all to create that really good bond. I hope it holds!
The challenging part will be fitting in pieces for that curved cheek area. That is next.
Yoda's head, hands and feet should arrive any day now... :)
Monday, March 13, 2006
Fett Helmet, and Yoda Dressed
After trying to find some kind of plastic to use to attempt to make a Boba Fett helmet I found Home Depot buckets. I picked up a couple, traced out the templates and used my Dremel to cut out the pieces. Then I had to find a batters helmet. Luckily I found one at Wal Mart for $15. I cut it down, sanded it as flat as I could and started gluing it all together.
This is a pic of the rangefinder arm that goes up one side of the helmet. I had these cut out at work. I cleaned one of them up with a file.
Here is yoda's new clothing. Now I just need hands feet and his head. Hopefully they arrive this week.
Friday, March 10, 2006
Boba Fett....while I wait...
I am still waiting for my Yoda head, hands and feet and costume to arrive so in the meantime I found plans for a Boba Fett helmet. Might make a little project out of it..at least for me and my little bro.
Here are a couple pics of my crazy carpet/duct tape mock up. I think if I can get some thicker plastic and a batters helmet for the top, this should turn out pretty good.