R2D2 Fett's Blog

This is just to post updates on my various projects, like my full sized R2D2, my Han Solo in carbonite, my Boba Fett, Yoda, C3PO......AND the finishing of our basement (and home theater)or anything else that I might think is interesting enough to post.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Say Hello to my Little Friend

Well...I didn't want another project....but I got sucked into tempatation. I have been thinking a Yoda would be nice to have.and small. The trouble is the replicas are expensive..and it isn't like I can hide the face and hands and feet (like darth vader or a Stormtrooper). I found a guy onine who is selling a latex casting of his head, hands and feet.

This will be an episode II yoda.so he's not as old..and can do some moves, so his pose will reflect that. Yesterday I made up this little skelton using a couple picstures as a reference, knowing that he stands 26" tall. Once I get the head, hands and feet I can finalize the pose, and bulk it up a bit.

I also ordered a toddler sized costume on ebay....it was that or baby sized. I kinda think I should have gone with the baby size, but if it's too big I can always cut it down a bit. The other challenge has been finding some decent eyes, but I think I found a place so I can order them today.

Painting the latex green will be a challenge. I am planning on using an air gun, but I need to find a paint that will not react with rubber, or chip off and flake. Apprently the paint they use for latex masks is acrylic with rubber cements dilutes with hexene or something. It is supposed to be quite toxic..so I think I will avoid that. I painted some green fabric material on my hand and some acrylic..so see how they looked when they dried, and how they would crack and flake. The fabric paint seemed to work pretty good so I think I might try that..if I can figure out what to dilute it with.

In this pic you can also see R2's middle foot. I painted it white yesterday. It will go on the bottom. I plan to mount 3 temporary feet for him to stand on whil I work on his real feet.

















Here is a quick pic of my Firefly/Serenity Display. The magazine Rack and Cutlery holder were just bought at Ikea (they were used in the show). The gun is a first generation replica (it was molded from the original one used in the show). I printed out the money and the Voice recorder is actually just a $3 radio I have on order that was cut down and painted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home